Friday, April 1, 2011

Is Zite the future of online content aggregation?

Great article in Read Write Web recently on Zite, the newish iPad app which purports to build an personalized online magazine. It teases "If you like Flipboard, check out Zite." Sounds intriguing. The article explains that it allows readers to tag articles that interest them as it learns more about you. The comparison is that its more like Pandora rather than customizable like iTunes. "Then it learns from your behavior with the magazine it creates. It's like Pandora for web magazine reading, but smarter." Check out their nifty demo video.

Zite: Personalized Magazine for iPad from zite.com on Vimeo.


Would love to hear your feedback. My thoughts:

  • Starting to use anything like this always makes me feel like I'm missing something. I like the serendipity of coming across interesting articles on my own.  But like the ideas of it finding something unexpected and relevant.
  • Do the publishers dislike having their content sampled. Just like borring a riff from a song. I bet this will cause copyright issues if it catches on.
  • Does less diversity in reading make us stupid? OK, maybe not stupid but less well rounded. Yes, I think it does but hopefully sharper in our chosen interests.
Could be the future if done well. Can't wait to test it over time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment